MidAtlantic Fiber Association Fellowship Program
The MidAtlantic Fiber Association (MAFA) Fellowship Program was established to support guild members working with fiber; to help promote, expand and preserve fiber arts; and to encourage the sharing of valuable information within the MAFA community and with the general public.
The award provides a fellowship to a conference participant who will pass on knowledge gained at the MAFA Conference. The fellowship awardee may do so in an educational setting, guild meeting, a study group, a public demonstration, or any other appropriate venue. The MAFA Grants Committee will determine the number of fellowships to be awarded within the allocation set by the MAFA Board. The award(s) is paid once the requirements are fulfilled.
Criteria for Selection
- MAFA fellowships are open to any member of a MAFA guild or any MAFA associate in good standing.
- The applicant must be nominated by her/his MAFA guild or by a teacher or mentor in the MAFA region.
- The applicant must be involved in the fiber arts, specifically weaving, spinning, dyeing, or felting.
- The applicant may be at any level of expertise (novice, intermediate, experienced).
- Enrollment in a formal degree or certification program is not required.
- Financial need is not a criterion.
Fellowships are awarded by the Grants Committee based on the applicant’s involvement in and serious intention to promote fiber arts as well as the applicant’s commitment to maintain a continued dialogue with MAFA.
MidAtlantic Fiber Association Dorosh Award
The MidAtlantic Fiber Association (MAFA) Dorosh Award was established in memory of Ellen Dorosh to support MAFA guild members who wish to improve their weaving skills.
The Grants Committee will determine which, if any, of the MAFA Fellowship applicants will be awarded the Dorosh Award. Dorosh Awardees must be weavers and guild members. There is no need to apply specifically for the Dorosh Award.
Requirements for Selection
Applicants for the MAFA Fellowship must be registered for the 2017 MAFA Conference.
Applicants must submit:
- An application form with personal contact information, sponsoring guild, contact information for person writing the letter of recommendation, and the class in which registered at the conference.
- A short written essay describing the applicant’s current projects and interests, level of involvement in the fiber arts, and how the knowledge and skills acquired at the conference will be shared with others in the MAFA region.
- A letter of recommendation from a board member of the sponsoring MAFA guild, if a guild member, or from a teacher or mentor in the MAFA region, if an associate.
Submission of Application
The application form (via online application) and letter of recommendation (pdf via email) must be submitted to MAFA Grants Committee. The application is incomplete without both items.
Candidates for the MAFA Fellowships and Dorosh Award must apply no later than April 1, 2017.
Successful applicants will be notified on or before May 15, 2017. The decisions of the Grants Committee are final.
In order to receive her/his award, the recipient is required to:
- Submit a written report to the Grants Committee after the MAFA conference, on the experience gained and any changes to how the recipient plans to share the experience with others. This initial report will be published on the MAFA website, and is due by October 1, 2017.
- Reports should be submitted by email in PDF format to the Grants Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a brief follow-up report after sharing the experience, with photographs, including the MAFA Photo Release form for anyone who is recognizable. This report and related photos, which will also be published on the MAFA website, is due by December 1, 2017.
- MAFA fellows are encouraged to submit further follow-up reports in ensuing years if they choose. However, only one follow-up report is required.
- Arrange for a guild board member (or a teacher or mentor, if the Fellowship awardee is a MAFA associate member) to send a letter or email to the Grants Committee confirming completion of the requirements.
For more information, please contact the Grants Committee chairperson at email@example.com.
Fellowship application is now available.